Happy holidays! This year’s ACC is available as a download (featuring some extra songs) and also as Spotify and Rdio playlists (featuring fewer songs due to music biz stuff). Hope everything is bodacious!
- Outkast — Hold On, Be Strong
- Bryan Ferry — Casanova
- Black Moon — I Got Cha Opin (remix)
- The Proclaimers — Over and Done With
Apparently this is in Bottle Rocket–which, shamefully/weirdly I’ve never seen. It makes me feel better that Wes Anderson cosigns on this jam.
- El Guincho — Bombay
They play this song a truly astounding amount on Sirius/XM.
- Terius Nash — Long Gone
This album is free and better than other albums he has released as The-Dream. True stories.
- The Beat / The English Beat — Twist and Crawl
- Little Dragon — Please Turn
- The Mekons — Memphis, Egypt
- Spiritualized — Stop Your Crying
- Minnie Riperton — Come To My Garden
- Young Jeezy, Jay-Z & Andre 3000 — I Do
This song was apparently released over a month ago and I hadn’t heard it until tonight (12/20). I listen to a lot of mainstream rap radio and don’t know how that’s possible. This also reminded me that Young Jeezy once rapped about the spinach dip from Houston’s which is just as amazing as our country putting a man on the moon.
- Sands Hollow — The River’s Edge
THIS IS SO GOOD. This band is two people I know only in passing from Austin who released an awesome EP on Monofonus and really, really need to release more. I’ve listened to this EP roughly a kajabillion times. Apparently they have like 40+ finished songs. Seriously, what is the hold up? I might start a letter writing campaign.
- Alicia Myers — I Want To Thank You
- Anita Tijoux — 1977
I think this was in Breaking Bad. Let’s talk about how terrible Walter is now.
- Lucinda Williams — Minneapolis
This year, I got really into Lonesome Dove, Lucinda Williams and Downton Abbey. This is the year I lost any last vestiges of street cred.
- Les 4 Guaranis — Hasta Otro Dia
If you don’t download obscure, amazing albums from Ghostcapital you are missing out on jam-after-cuckoo-jam.
- The Tradewinds — Real Ones
I moved to Phoenix this year and heard this 72 second pop punk confection on the best/worst/most confusing radio station, KWSS. Then I put it on repeat for 72 hours. Their EP is free.
- Joe Bataan — My Cloud
- Why? — Into The Shadows Of My Embrace
- Bleached — Electric Chair
A real scorcher.
- Megadeth — Dread & The Fugitive Mind
Did I tell you I moved back to Phoenix?
- Leonard Cohen — Everybody Knows
I first heard this song as a kid in Pump Up The Volume. Did you know Pump Up The Volume takes place in Phoenix?
- Lord Crowley — Night